Saturday, January 16, 2010

S is for Snowboarding

Racing down the hill as fast as you can, the wind whipping your face, snow flying everywhere, that is the thrill of skiing and snowboarding.

My family and I are members at Beaver Valley Ski Club. It is a private ski club near Markdale. There are approximately 800 families who are members. My family all like to ski but I prefer snowboarding.

I started off skiing just like the rest of my family, but then I switched to snowboarding. It all started when my brother was in a ski lesson, and for one day he got to learn how to snowboard. He liked it so much my parents bought him a snowboard and snowboard boats. He tried snowboarding for a year and then went back to skiing. That’s when I decided to try snowboarding. After I tried it once I thought it was so much fun that I haven’t skied since.

I had to take snowboarding lessons because snowboarding is hard to learn once you are already a skier. I had lots of fun learning how to snowboard but it hurts sometimes because I fell down a lot. It was a long process learning how to snowboard especially getting off the chair lift. This is the part that has been the most challenging for me. The other thing that has been challenging is turning on steep hills. I am still working on that. I have had lots of fun with my snowboard instructor. Once he made me go down a double black diamond, but I slide the whole way down without doing any turns. Also he made me go off a rail. I told him I couldn’t do it, so the first time he helped me. When I tried it the second time he didn’t help me, and I went off the rail by myself. I was so proud of myself.

It is easier to start out snowboarding at a younger age, because you haven’t learned anything yet. If you have already learned how to ski then when you take up snowboarding the you have to learn a whole new way of doing things. I was a skier at first, and I’ve had to work hard at learning how to snowboard.

You have to be determined to do something or you will never get it done.

3 comments:

  1. whoa! your bro got snow boats!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't ski or snowboard! You must be vvveeerrryyy talented. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayley, nice blog post on Snowboarding! If I ever try snowboarding I will probably break every bone! I hope that you will stick with snowboarding so maybe you can teach me how to some day!! Overall nice post! =)

    ReplyDelete