Tuesday, April 6, 2010

K is for Key West

During the March Break I went to Florida with my parents and my brother. We flew into West Palm Beach, and then drove to Key West. It was a long ride and I got really bored, except at the end when we crossed a seven mile bridge. When we got there we went for a walk around the downtown and did some shopping. The next day we went on a tour of the city and then we went on a snorkeling, kayaking and sailing trip. On our last day we went to the Aquarium in the morning, and in the afternoon my brother and dad went on a fishing trip, and my mom and I went to the spa.


On our snorkeling, kayaking and sailing trip we first went snorkeling, then kayaking and sailed back to the port where we started. When we were snorkeling we saw lots of cool sea creatures. We saw a nurse shark, a moon jelly fish, another type of jelly fish, spiny lobsters, sea sponges, baby grouper and many other fish. One of the jelly fish that we found didn’t have tentacles so it didn’t sting, and my brother and my dad held it. After the snorkeling trip we went kayaking. You could fit two people per kayak, so I went with my dad. When we were on the kayak trip we saw a bonnet head shark, blue heron, bald eagle, and white egret. On the sail back we watched a dolphin jump, and saw a stingray. All in all it was a fun snorkeling, kayaking and sailing trip.




The morning before the snorkeling trip we took a train ride and learned a lot about the history of Key West. My mom and dad thought it was very interesting, but I didn’t think it was as much fun as some other things we did. I did learn some things when I was on the trip 1) There is one point in Key West that is the southern most point in the USA. 2) You are closer to Cuba than you are to any Wal-Mart. 3) You have to be born in Key West to be able to be buried in the town cemetery. 4) All the sand is imported for the beaches. At the aquarium I got to hold a crab and starfish. We also got to see them feed the stingrays and turtles, and my brother and I got to feed the sharks. I also watched a bird eat out of a fish tank, it was really funny.


I really wasn’t keen to drive 5 hours in a car just to visit Key West. Once we were there I found out there were lots of interesting things like street performers, outdoor restaurants, unique people, and street vendors. It turned out to be a more fun trip than I thought it would be.


Life lesson: Don’t judge something before you try it or someplace before you go there, because it might turn out to be fun, and you will really enjoy it.




I commented on Kyle's blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hayley your trip to Key West sounds amazing and it looks like you learned a lot about the history and what Key West is all about. I went to a warm place for march break to and saw many fish and sea urchins as well. In your post i would like to see a little more description of what things looked like, like the bright, clear, aquamarine water. Over all I liked hearing about your vacation

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your holiday sounded amazing! It must have been alot of fun snorkeling, kiaking and sailing. And your life lesson was really enspiring, I learnt alot. In your next blog, I would try and make it a bit more exciting, so the reader wants to read on. But apart from that, it was great!

    -Georgia

    ReplyDelete