Wednesday, January 27, 2010

D is for Dance

5, 6, 7, 8! Buffalo, Maxi ford, Toe Stand, Pastiche and Pirouette. Do you know what all those terms mean? They are all different dance steps. I started dancing when I was 6 years old. The first year I only took Jazz. The next year I also took tap, and each year after that I added more and more types of dances.



There are lots of different types of dances like; Jazz, Tap, Hip – Hop, Musical Theatre, Lyrical, Modern, Ballet, and Acro. In Musical Theatre you lip sync the words to the song, while you do a jazz like dance. The dances I do are Jazz, Tap, Hip – Hop, Musical Theatre, Lyrical and Ballet.



There are two types of dance, Recreational and Competitive. I now do Competition Dance because 3 years ago my teacher asked me to join the Competitive team. Competitively I dance Jazz, Tap, Hip – Hop and Musical Theatre, but my favorite is Jazz. I didn’t think it would be fun, but it was. I liked Competition Dance so much I decided to do four Competition Dances this last year. It is a lot of hard work but we get to compete at fun places like Collingwood, Waterloo, Barrie and Niagara Falls. There are about 150 people in my dance studio that do Competition Dance. There are groups, trios, duets, and solos.



I love to dance. Dance has made me so much more active. It has also made me more confident, more flexible, and helped me to be better in sports. Dance is challenging, the steps get more complex and faster. Just this week I did a triple pirouette, and ten fouette turns. I was very proud of this accomplishment.My brother continually says dance is not a sport. I keep saying to him yes it is. I have even challenged him to come to a class and try to keep up!!!!! I doubt he can!!!!


Life Lesson: Dance is a sport!!! It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you are getting exercise and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment