Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blog# 1 The Clothes Make the Man

Do clothes make the man? Many people think that it matters what clothes you wear, but sometimes it doesn’t and sometimes it does. It doesn’t matter what people think because in some jobs you have a specific type of clothes you have to wear. At my mom’s work she gives people uniforms to wear so that the don’t get their normal clothes dirty or ruined. On the other hand, when you go out to a nice place, and you don’t wear proper clothes, then people think that you don’t care how you look. Also, if you are at a party or dance, you don’t want to look like a slob, you want to look nice. You only have one chance to make a first impression. That is why I think that clothes do and do no make a man.  


I think that clothing does not shape who you are, but it can shape the impression people have of you. When I walk into a place with my uniform some people judge how I look, and are impressed.  That makes me feel more confident. There is a quote in Middle School that says, "In 30 years it won't matter what clothes you wore, what hair style you had, or what jeans you had, all that will matter is what you learned.” That is a good quote but it doesn’t always work. Does clothing really shape who you are? What do you think? Think about it next time that you make an impression of someone just based on what they are wearing.  

8 comments:

  1. i agree i like the way you related to your moms work. it toatally deserves perfect! good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totaly agree with you on how sometimes the clothes do and do not make the man.I always go to places with my uniform and I fell special too.
    good job on this blog!!
    keep up the good work.
    bunny
    (\_/)
    (^-^)
    ()(")(")

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayley, I completely agree with what you are saying about how clothes don't shape who you are but make a first impression. I love how you used uniform as an example. I think that we should all work on getting to know people better before we judge them. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika- Hayley, I totally agree with you. The answer could be yes or no according to the kind of person that is answering. Like for me, the clothes don not make the man because when I dress, I have colourful outfits that are really wacky and crazy, and I'm not like that. I guess the answer depend on the person, if the answer is true or not for them. I love how you made an example with your mom. And you're right, our first impression on people shouldn't be on how they dress, it' how they act that counts. I think that's why some schools have uniforms. Anyway, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hayley i completley agree that clothes sometimes and sometimes do not make the person. i hate going places wearing my uniform because that is not who i am. But i think clothes do shape who i am because i like to wear things that make my personality, me great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hayley, I completely agree with you. Clothing does and doesn't shape who you are as a person. I think Erika had a good point. The answer can change depending on who ever is answering. If someone has really sharp clothes (like a suit and tie) people are going to think that they have really high expectations, when really maybe they love to fool around and have fun. I think that because people judge other people like this, it is a good idea to have a uniform. That way, no one gets judged wrongly by what they're wearing. A good saying for this is "Don't judge a book by it's cover." This means to not judge what someone's personality is by what they are wearing, or how they look. Great post Hayley! P.S. - I love how you put that quote from the middle school in your assignment!

    ReplyDelete